Deseret Bookshelf FAQ
General Bookshelf Questions
What devices support the Deseret Bookshelf App?
• Bookshelf 5.0.4 is available for Apple devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) by searching in the Apple App Store for 'Deseret Bookshelf'. Tap either ‘free’ or ‘get’ and the app will begin installing. It works best on iOS 10.0 and up and will not work on anything lower than iOS 10.0. You may be prompted to either enter your Apple ID and password, or you may be prompted to authenticate with either TouchID or FaceID (depending on the device) to begin installing the app.
• Bookshelf 5.0.3 is available for Android devices by searching for 'Deseret Bookshelf' in the Google Play Store. It works best on Android 5.0 or higher.
• Our web-based version of Bookshelf supports any device with an Internet connection and a web-browser (tablets, desktops, laptops, phones, etc. DOES NOT WORK ON KINDLE OR NOOK). To access and read your eBooks, please visit: https://read.deseretbook.com The Bookshelf web-reader works best using the following browsers: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, or up to date versions of Internet Explorer. The Silk browser will not work.
When I'm logging in, how do I know if I have a DeseretBook.com account?
If you have previously registered with Deseret Book online you will have a deseretbook.com account. Use the same email address and password you used then. If you cannot remember, choose the “Forgot Password?” link to have your password reset. If you have not registered previously, use the “Create Account” prompts within the app.
Why do I have eBooks in my Bookshelf library I didn’t purchase?
Deseret Bookshelf comes with the LDS Classics Starter Library and the entire Standard Works.
How do I read an eBook after purchasing?
eBooks are ready to download to your library immediately after purchase.
Click on the My Library icon (looks like four books on the bottom left side of the screen) and you should be able to find your book in your library. Tap on the book’s cover image to download it to your device and begin reading. As long as your device is connected to the internet, Bookshelf checks for new purchases every twenty seconds. If you can’t find your book, check your internet connection to make sure it’s active.
How do I remove an eBook from my device?
To remove an eBook from your device, first find it in My Library. Press and hold your finger on the eBook you would like to remove. This opens the "About this eBook" screen. Underneath the image of the book, there will be an icon of a cloud with an arrow, and next to this it says Remove from Device. Click anywhere on the icon or words, and the eBook will be removed. If you are using an Android device, a notification will pop up asking if you wish to Archive this book. Tap Yes, and the eBook will be removed. You will then be taken back to My Library, where you will see your eBook with a cloud icon on the cover. Simply click on the cover of your eBook to re-download it to your device.
*Note: Purchased books can be Archived, and therefore removed from your device, but they will still show up in your Library for purchase history purposes.
I’ve downloaded an eBook but it has missing or duplicate pages. How can I fix this?
Archiving and re-downloading the eBook removes the current version from your device and replaces it with the most current version which often fixes the errors(To archive a book, press and hold your finger on the book cover and select Remove from Device). If you still have content errors please email email@example.com our eBooks team will look into the problem.
While reading an eBook, how do I change my reading preferences like font, size, brightness, and reading mode?
While reading an eBook, click on the gear icon in the top right side of the screen. This will open the eBook Settings screen which will allow you to change several reading settings, such as font, size, justification, page color, highlighter brightness, as well as switching between Scroll Mode or Page Mode.
How do I highlight a passage or make a note within an eBook?
Press and hold your finger on one of the words you would like to highlight or make a note about. Text bars will appear on your screen which you can move to include all the text you wish to include with your highlight or note. When highlighting you can choose from different highlighting or underlining colors. You can also add different tags to your highlights to help you find them later. To see your highlights, notes, or tags, tap on the My Markups icon in the bottom center of the screen. You can also delete any highlights, notes, or tags by clicking on the x icon next to the markup listed in this section.
Billing & Account Questions
How do I apply Platinum Reward Points or Gift cards to an eBook purchase?
To use Platinum Reward Points or Gift Cards towards eBook purchases first find the book you’re interested in on DeseretBook.com. When you tap the Buy Now button and log in you will be taken to the Digital Checkout page. To use a gift card enter your gift card number and then tap the green triangle button to apply the gift towards this purchase. If you are a platinum member, you will also see your platinum points balance. If your balance does not appear go to the Platinum Portal and enter your Platinum rewards number (found on a Deseret Book receipt or catalog) to link your Platinum account to your email address. If you need further assistance, then call customer service at 1-800-453-4532.
Can I use an online coupon or promo code for eBook purchases?
Coupons or other promotional discounts are not valid for digital download purchases at this time. However Bookshelf sends promotional emails highlighting special 48-hour sales. These emails frequently offer exclusive pricing on best-selling bundled sets, newly released eBooks, or available free titles.
How can I change my account's billing address, credit card, email address, or password?
You can make changes to your account by logging in to DeseretBook.com and clicking on My Account in the top right corner of the screen. You will automatically be placed on the Edit Account section, and will see a screen that has the details of your account. To change your email, name, birthday, or password, click on ( Edit ) underneath your information to access the screen to change your information. Press Update when finished to save your changes.
- To change your address, click on My Addresses on the left hand side of the screen under the Edit Account section. From here, you can click on the buttons on the right side of the screen to add new, edit, or remove addresses from your account.
- To change your credit card information, click on the Cards on File section on the left side of the screen under Addresses. Here you will be able to remove existing cards on file or add new ones. Note: Cards on File are credit cards that can only be used for store purchases and NOT for subscription renewal.
- In order to change your credit card information on your Bookshelf Plus or Platinum Rewards subscription, click on the My Subscriptions section on the left side of the screen under Subscriptions. You will be able to see the details of the services you are subscribed to. Click on Edit Subscription. In the middle of this screen, you will see a panel titled Payment Information. Click on Update to manage payment for your subscription. To save your changes, click on Update Billing Information.
Can I gift a Bookshelf eBook to someone?
Currently you cannot purchase an eBook as a gift for someone else. You can purchase a Deseret Book gift card instead.
Why do I need to enter credit card information to get a free eBook?
Currently our eCommerce system requires a credit card on file for all transactions regardless of cost. We safeguard your credit card information using industry standard security and you will not be charged for any free purchase.
How do I find all your free and low-priced eBooks?
Using DeseretBook.com, click on the eBooks section and scroll down until you see the list titled PRICE with circle selection options on the left-hand side of the screen. You can select the circle corresponding to the price range you wish to view, and the resulting products will be filtered to match your selection. When using the Deseret Bookshelf App, tap on the Discover tab at the bottom left corner of the screen. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see a section titled Enjoy These Free eBooks to browse a collection of free eBooks.
How many people can share a Bookshelf account?
You can log in with the same Bookshelf account on any device you own. Any family members living in the same household can share the PLUS membership. However, we ask that you limit it to 5 devices at a time.
Can my spouse and I have our Bookshelf accounts merged together?
If you live in the same home we can combine your two accounts into one. Please call our customer service at 1-800-453-4532 and they will help you. We cannot, however, merge your personalizations: highlights, notes, bookmarks, etc.
My spouse purchased an eBook under her email account. How can I get it to show up also under my Bookshelf account also?
eBooks purchased can only be read by one email address.
How do I change the account that my Bookshelf app is associated with?
Click on the My Account icon at the bottom right corner of the app. Then click on the Logout button found in the bottom right corner just above the My Account icon. Once that account is logged out, you can log in to your desired account. If you want to change the email address associated with your account, log into DeseretBook.com and click on My Account at the top right corner of the website and sign in with your old email account. Then click on ( Edit ) just below your personal data. Here you can edit your email and password for your account.
How do I get the Deseret Bookshelf application on my Apple device?
The free Deseret Bookshelf application is available for the iPhone and iPad through the Apple App Store. Open the App Store and use the search box by entering the keywords: Deseret Bookshelf. Our app will appear and you may tap the "free" or "get" icon to begin the download process. You may be prompted to either enter your Apple ID and password, or you may be prompted to authenticate with either TouchID or FaceID (depending on the device) to begin installing the app.
What’s new in the latest version of Bookshelf for Apple devices?
For the latest release notes please review the Apple App Store description by visiting https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deseret-bookshelf-lds-e-reader/id428709147?mt=8
My purchase doesn’t seem to be downloading to my Apple device
These steps should fix almost all problems with the Bookshelf app on Apple devices.
1. Make sure that the email address that you purchased the eBooks under is the same email address that you are using to log into Bookshelf. To check which email account you logged in under you can go to the My Account panel. The email address with which you are logged in will display on this screen.
2. If an eBook is coming up without a cover or without all the chapters, archiving (removing) and re-downloading the eBook removes the current version from your device and replaces it with the most current version which often fixes the errors.
3. If your purchase is still not working, you can try re-installing the Bookshelf app. Do this by pressing on the app icon for a few seconds until it starts to shake on the screen. Then press the little “x” in the top left corner of the app icon. Finally, press the home button on your phone or just tap anywhere on the screen that does have an app. Reinstall Bookshelf by opening the App Store app and searching again for Deseret Bookshelf.
4. To restart your phone, hold the power button (on the right side of the phone) until a power off slider appears on your screen, slide it to the right and it will power the phone off, after a minute or two, hold the power button again and this will turn the phone back on.
5. If none of these steps work email customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will do their best to help you.
How do I get the Deseret Bookshelf Application on my Android device?
Deseret Bookshelf is available as a free download through the Google Play Store. To install, navigate to the Google Play application on your Android device. From the upper-right hand corner, enter the following keywords into search bar: Deseret Bookshelf. Tap on the Free icon to begin installation. You will then be prompted to login with your Google Play account, after which you enter the application will begin installing.
What’s new in the latest version of Bookshelf for Android devices?
For the latest release notes please review the Google Play Store description by visiting https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deseretbook.bookshelf
How do I get the Deseret Bookshelf app installed on my Kindle Fire?
Kindle devices are not supported and are not compatible devices.
Barnes and Noble NOOK Devices
NOOK devices are not supported and are not compatible devices.
Sony eReader, Windows Mobile, and Other Mobile Devices
Currently Deseret Bookshelf is not available on these mobile platforms.
You can use the Bookshelf web-reader by visiting: https://read.deseretbook.com. The web-reader will allow you to read all your Bookshelf titles from any internet connected device.
If you still have questions, feedback or other concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.